We were asked recently to put together some tips of what we have learned designing web sites for non-profits that could be applied to other non-profit communications projects. Here are some of our tips:
1. It’s not about you – its about your member/donor
2. Design backwards, start with the end goal
3. Listen. Listen to supporters and staff
4. Find your own unique voice
5. Celebrate your supporters!
6. Just because you build it, it doesn’t mean they will come
7. Engage, engage, engage
8. Use opensource technologies
9. Do it right the first time (or at least this time)
10. Have a small committee, be decisive and communicate to rest of staff
And remember, launching your site isn’t the end – watch your analytics, review and enhance your site.